Auburn Bowls Club is looking for new bowlers. If you ever have wanted to play bowls, now is a good time to start. Bowls is a a game for all: men and ladies, for young and old alike. It is a game for those who are highly competitive and those who prefer just a social game. It is a game for the physically fit and for those with disabilities.
Auburn Bowls Club is looking for anybody that would like to try lawn bowls competitively or even socially on a regular basis. We have a great club and great people that are only too willing to help people new to the game.
If you are not sure on all the basics we have them here.
The basics of lawn bowls
Rink: area in which play takes place, usually a flat, grassed area, bounded by boundary pegs
Centre line: the line down the centre of the rink
Jack: small white ball, rolled out along the centreline, the idea is to get bowls as close as possible to it
Bowls: the balls used by the player, up to four each, weighted on one side causing it to curve as it rolls
Mat: placed on the centre line, players stand on it to bowl
- Stand on the mat, feet together, knees and waist bent slightly
- Take ball in your preferred hand (right or left)
- Step out with your opposite foot (left or right)
- Take a small back swing
- Bend down and roll bowl along the ground
- Roll it out at an angle, so the bowl curves back towards jack (see basics)
- Avoid dropping or bouncing bowl so as not to damage green
Draw shot: A slow, measured, finessed bowl trying to end closest to the jack
Drive shot: A harder, faster bowl used to try to knock other players’ bowls away
- The player who has their bowl or bowls closest to the jack wins
- Points are awarded according to the number of bowls closest
- Players judge the distance and number by eye
- If in dispute, a measuring tape is employed
- If still in dispute, an umpire called in to resolve
Bowls at Auburn Bowls Club
The club has a number of bowls that you can come and use and try the sport, we have members that can coach you, and teach you the game. Every Saturday we have a social game, that everybody is welcome to join in on. We have a great social atmosphere at the club and great place to meet and spend time with friends.
To join the Auburn bowls club as a bowler, our fees are $120 for the year. You will get a uniform for playing in. We have social activities through out the year.
To learn more please come in and see us or you can click here to visit our websites bowlers information.